Bylaw Enforcement aims to investigate and respond to reports regarding bylaw violations in the Town.  If you have any questions, refer to the Bylaws posted on the Towns website or call the Municipal Office at (306) 436-2130.

Making a Complaint

Bylaw complaints may be made in writing to the Town of Milestone.  The Town-appointed Bylaw Enforcement Officer will follow up on the complaint. When making a complaint, please include the following:

  • Address/location of the complaint
  • Date/times when the violation occurred
  • A detailed description of the violation (if a vehicle is involved: make, model, colour, license plate)
  • Your name, address, and phone number

If you wish to file a complaint, you may file it with the municipal office in writing to:

Town of Milestone

Box 74

Milestone, SK S0G 3L0

OR by email to [email protected]

Complaint Process

When the Town receives a complaint, an investigation will begin to determine if a violation exists and who is responsible.  If there is a violation, the person(s) responsible will be contacted and asked to voluntarily comply with the bylaw.  Voluntary compliance is the most common outcome of bylaw violations.  The Town will try to achieve voluntary compliance with each complaint; however, appropriate enforcement will be taken where additional action is required.

If voluntary compliance is not achieved, an Order to Remedy letter may be issued to the person(s) responsible, giving a specific number of days to remedy the situation.  This process allows the person(s) responsible to appeal the order within a specified period of time (if an appeal is made, Council may decide to confirm, modify, or repeal the order).  If there is no appeal, the person(s) responsible will be allowed a specific number of days to remedy the situation, and the Town will follow up to ensure the violation has been remedied.  If the situation has been remedied, the file will be closed.

If the situation remains, the town may initiate legal action, including prosecution (summoning the defendant to court to deal with the situation) or cleaning up a property; cost recovery methods are also initiated.

Not all matters are regulated by bylaws; some may be regulated by Provincial or Federal acts and enforced by other authorities, or, in civil matters, not regulated at all.